GENERAL SIGN-ON REQUIREMENTS
The following are Kaplan’s general requirements for applicant-drivers to haul freight under its authority*. While the comprehensive FMCSA regulations set the industry standard in qualifying safe and capable drivers, Kaplan has elected to strive for a higher standard as part of its continued commitment to safety.
As such, drivers should ideally meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 23 years old;
- Possess a Class A CDL for at least (2) years. Military driving experience may count in place of (1) year with Class A CDL. A Class A CDL may not be required for box trucks, yard movers, and similar equipment;
- Minimum of (2) years tractor trailer experience (either over-the-road or local work). Military experience may count toward (1) year of experience. This requirement may not apply to box trucks, yard movers, and similar equipment;
- Minimum of (6) months verified steel, aluminum, and/or other metal commodities hauling experience if driver intends to haul these commodities, and if driver intends to haul steel, aluminum and/or other metal commodity coils, then driver must have a minimum of (3) months experience hauling these coils;
- Not have an excessive number of convictions for moving violations in a CMV in the past (3) years;
- No more than (3) preventable “DOT Recordable” accidents in the last (3) years;
- No preventable rollovers within the last (3) years;
- No preventable accidents resulting in fatalities;
- No felony convictions related to the use of a CMV;
- No drug violations of any kind in the last (5) years. Beyond (5) years may still be reviewed;
- No DUI’s in the last (5) years, personal vehicle included;
- All other convictions not mentioned will be subject to review.